Sunday 14 October 2012
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Second preliminary death toll for Sunday 14/10/12. Approximately 90 Syrians were killed so far today. The dead include: 39 unarmed civilians, 21 rebel fighters and no less than 21 regime forces.
**Unknown gunmen attacked and killed workers who were on a bus on the Homs-al-Mashrafa road, near the village of Zeidil. The attackers killed 3 of the workers**
**Dozens of corpses were found in the M’adamiyat al-Sham hospital in Reef Dimashq, it is thought that they were killed during the military operation on western Reef Dimashq**
39 Unarmed Civilians:
- In Aleppo province 6 were killed. A child was shot by sniper in the Bustan al-Qasr neighbourhood. A woman and child were killed by bombardment on the neighbourhoods of al-Kalasa and al-Sakhour of Aleppo city. 1 civilian from the Sakhour neighbourhood was killed by a sniper in the Bab Hadid neighbourhood. In Reef Aleppo 1 was shot by pro regime gunmen in the al-Sfeira town. A woman was killed by bombardment on the al-Abizmo town.
- In Idlib province 4 were killed. A woman was killed when the car transporting her was targeted in the Babulin village of Reef Idlib. 1 was killed under unknown circumstances in Reef Jusr al-Shughour. 2 women and a child were killed by the regime bombardment on the city of Ariha.
- In Dera’a province 6 were killed. 4 were killed by point-blank shots as regime forces stormed the Mahja town. 1 was shot by a regime checkpoint by the al-Na’ima town. 1 died of wounds he received yesterday by bombardment on the Kahil town.
- In Reef Dimashq 11 were killed. 2 civilians, including a woman, were killed by bombardment on the city of Douma. 1 was tortured to death after detainment by regime forces in the Shab’a town. 1 was killed by bombardment on the Hamouriya town of Reef Dimashq. 1 from Harasta was killed by regime forces in al-Ghouta. 2 civilians, 1 unidentified, were found dead by the town of al-Mou’adamiya. An unidentified young man was found near the town of bebila.
- In Damascus province 4 were killed. A young girl from the Jobar neighbourhood was shot by regime forces in the al-Bolman area. 1 from the al-Midan neighbourhood was shot by sniper in the Douma city. A man from the Hajar al-Aswad neighbourhood was killed by a military checkpoint in Damascus. A young man shot yesterday by regime forces in the Kafersousa neighbourhood was documented today by the SOHR.
- In Homs province 5 civilians, including a child, were killed by bombardment on the al-Qseir and Rastan cities and the Rabla village of Reef Homs.
- In Deir Izzor province 2 rebels killed. 1 was killed by bombardment on the neighbourhoods of the Deir Izzor city. An elderly man was killed by shrapnel from a rocket launched into the Sheikh Yasin neighbourhood of Deir Izzour.
- In Hama province 1 from the Hurbanafsa village of southern Reef Hama was shot.
21 Rebel Fighters:
- In Aleppo province 7 rebel fighters were killed. 4 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the city of Aleppo. 3 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the perimeter of the 46 military division of western Reef Aleppo.
- In Idlib province 8 rebel fighters were killed. 5 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the perimeter of the M’aret al-Nu’man city and Babulin village. 1 was killed by bombardment on the city of Saraqeb.A rebel leader was killed by the clashes around the al-Duweila air-defence base in reef Dera’a.
- In Homs province 5 killed. 4 rebel fighters were killed during clashes with regime forces in the Deir al-Foul village. 1 rebel was killedby clashes in the Bab Houd neighbourhood of Homs.
- In Deir Izzor province a rebel commander was killed during clashes with regime forces in the city.
At least 21 regime forces were killed by attacks on personnels and clashes in several Syrian provinces: 6 in Idlib, 4 Dera’a, 5 Aleppo, 1 Deir Izzor, 4 al-Qneitra and 1 in Latakia.
[local time] 21:45 Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi on Sunday gave visiting UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi a proposal aimed at ending the conflict in key regional ally Syria.
19:47 The authorities in Jordan, already home to more than 85,000 registered refugees from the raging conflict in Syria, plan to set up a new refugee camp west of the capital, an official said on Sunday.
17:48 Syria’s army retook control Sunday of a historic mosque in second city Aleppo after fierce clashes with rebels in and around the area, a military official and an observer group said.
17:18 Turkey closeed its airspace to Syrian civilian flights, AFP reported Sunday.
16:18 The Israeli army designated territory near the border with Syria to contain a potential influx of Syrian refugees fleeing the violence in their country, Voice of Israel reported on Sunday.
16:05 The Syrian army launched a counter-strike against rebels in the North on Sunday, in a bid to wrest back control of positions lost in recent days, a monitoring group said.
15:42 Sunday’s death toll in Syria has reached 140 people, Al-Arabiya quoted activists as saying.
15:23 Around 100 bodies were discovered in a hospital located between Al-Mouaddamiyyeh and Daraya in the Damascus district, activists said.
14:08 Sunday’s death toll in Syria has risen to 51 people, activists said.
13:56 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Sunday shows a scene in which an explosive barrel targets the Homs neighborhood of Jawber.
13:54 Human Rights Watch on Sunday accused the Syrian air force of using cluster bombs against rebels and in populated areas across the country.
13:04 Sunday’s death toll in Syria has risen to 30 people, Al-Arabiya television quoted activists as saying.
12:20 The Syrian regime forces shelled Homs’ Jawber neighborhood, activists said.
11:26 The Syrian rebels took control of the summit of Al-Nabi Younis mountain near Latakia, Al-Jazeera television reported.
11:02 At least 20 people have been killed in Syria on Sunday, Al-Jazeera television quoted activists as saying.
10:49 The Syrian regime forces shelled the Aleppo town of Hayyan, activists said.
10:40 The Syrian regime forces shelled the town of Al-Kareen in Al-Reqqa, activists said.
10:30 Free Syrian Army (FSA) commander Colonel Riad al-Assaad said in remarks published Sunday that Hezbollah’s fighters were involved in the “war against the Syrian people.”
10:23 The Syrian regime forces raided the town of Mahja in Daraa and set a number of houses on fire, activists said.
10:22 The Syrian regime forces shelled the area of Basateen Saqba near Damascus, activists said.
9:01 Fighting raged between troops and rebels in Syria as Damascus ratcheted up the tension with Ankara by banning all Turkish passenger flights from Syrian airspace from Sunday.
8:57 A car bomb blast killed eight people, including a child and two women, near the Syrian capital on Saturday in what was once a regime stronghold, a monitoring group said.
Syrian planes have been banned from Turkish air space, the Turkish foreign ministry has announced.
The ban follows similar restrictions imposed by Syria, after a Syrian plane alleged to be carrying Russian munitions was intercepted by Turkey.
Turkey’s ban came in on Saturday night and was communicated to Syria, but was only made public on Sunday.
It applies to civilian aircraft, as military aircraft were already de facto banned, a ministry official said.
The Syrian move followed Turkey’s interception on Wednesday of a Syrian jet, which Turkish warplanes forced to land in Ankara.
Turkish officials confiscated what they described as munitions bound for Syria’s defence ministry – an allegation disputed by Damascus.
At the time, Turkey warned its own civilian airlines to avoid Syrian air space as a precaution.
Until last year, Turkey and Syria were close allies, says the BBC’s James Reynolds, near the Turkey-Syria border.
Now the only things that they still share are a border of 500 miles and an increasing sense of mistrust, our correspondent says.
In June Syria shot down a Turkish warplane, it said by accident, after the jet crossed into Syrian airspace.
Now those same skies will be watched even more closely, our correspondent adds.
Sparks between neighbours
Tensions have been recently rising between the two countries after a series of cross-border incidents.
Last week, there were several days of firing across the border after five Turkish civilians were killed by Syrian shelling.
Turkey’s government has backed the Syrian opposition and called for the resignation of President Bashar al-Assad.
While Turkey may not be at war with Syria, correspondents say it is now increasingly involved in its neighbour’s conflict.
On Saturday, the UN-Arab League envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, held talks in Turkey, meeting Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to hear Turkey’s perspective on the crisis.
Meanwhile Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayip Erdogan told a conference in Istanbul that the UN’s failure to act in Syria gave President Bashar al-Assad the green light to kill tens or hundreds of people every day.
President Assad’s government accuses Turkey, along with Saudi Arabia and Qatar, of arming the rebels.
However, Syria has said it is ready to set up a joint committee to oversee security on the border.
Its foreign ministry said it had been discussing with diplomats from Russia, a key ally, the idea of a Syrian-Turkish security committee to avoid misunderstandings at the border, which would establish a “mechanism for surveillance of the border while respecting national sovereignty”.
On Sunday there were artillery attacks in the contested northern city of Aleppo for a second day, following the deaths of at least two people there on Saturday, according to Syrian opposition activists.
The Syrian army was reported to have regained control of a historic mosque in the city after fierce clashes with rebels.
Clashes were also reported between Syrian troops and rebels near the northwestern town of Maaret al-Numan, where the fighting was for control of a highway linking Damascus to Aleppo.
Guardian: Syria’s revolutionary cartoons:
Syria using Russian cluster bombs, says human rights group
14 Oct 2012: Watchdog claims video evidence shows government forces dropped Soviet-era cluster bombs in bid to halt rebel advances [see HRW report http://supportkurds.org/reports/hrw-syria-new-evidence-military-dropped-cluster-bombs ]