Friday 19 October 2012
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: Children being injured by undetonated cluster bomblets in Saraqeb. Saraqeb- Idlib province: 5 children have been injured as a result of playing by undetonated submunitions (bomblets), 1 of the children had his palm amputated, another child is in a critical state.
The SOHR has documented earlier the regime’s use of cluster bombs on Saraqeb on the 12/10/2012. The existence of undetonated explosives around a civilian population is another escalation and testimony to the seriousness of such methods. the Syrian authorities have resorted to using internationally prohibited weapons.
Preliminary death toll for Friday 19/10/2012. More than 110 Syrians were killed. The dead include: 55 unarmed civilians (5 children), 25 rebel fighters and no less than 34 regime forces. 55 Unarmed Civilians:
- In Homs province 10 were killed. A woman from the al-Hola area died of wounds she received yesterday by bombardment on the area. 2 from the al-Qseir city were killed by bombardment on the city. A woman died of wounds she received earlier by bombardment on the Talkalakh town. 2 corpses were found in the Deir al-Foul village of al-Rastan city, Reef Homs. 1 was shot by sniper in the al-Wa’er neighbourhood of Homs city.
- In Aleppo province 9 were killed in the city of Aleppo. 4 civilians, including 2 women, were killed by bombardment on the neighbourhoods of al-Ferdos and al-Sakhour. 1 died of wounds he received a week earlier in the al-Sukari neighbourhood. A young man from the Bustan al-Qasr neighbourhood was tortured to death after detainment by regime forces yesterday. A woman was shot by unknown gunmen in the al-Sheikh Maqsoud neighbourhood. 1 was shot by a sniper in the Bustan al-Qasr neighbourhood. 1 died of wounds he received earlier by bombardment on the Karm al-Jabal neighbourhood.
- In Hama province 2 were killed. 1 from the city of Hama was tortured to death after detainment by regime forces. 1 from the Kokab town of Reef Hama was shot by a military checkpoint in Reef idlib, based on activists from the area.
- In Deir Izzor province 5 were killed. 3 were killed when their car was targeted by a mortar shell in the al-Janina village of Reef Deir izzor. 1 was found dead in the al-Rashdiya neighbourhood of Deir Izzor city. A child was killed by bombardment on the al-Hmeidiya neighbourhood. 2 were killed in the Deir Izzor city, 1 was shot by a sniper, 1 was killed by bombardment.
- In Dera’a province 5 were killed. 1 died of wounds he received yesterday when he was shot by regime forces in the Sahem al-Jolan town of Reef Dera’a. 3 civilians, including a child, were shot by a sniper in the Dera’a al-Balad neighbourhood in the city of Dera’a. 1 was shot by regime forces in the Dera’a al-Mahatta neighbourhood of Dera’a city. 2 were shot by regime forces after they stormed the Busra al-Sham neighbourhood of Reef Dera’a.
- In Damascus province 2 were killed. 1 was found dead after 3 days of detainment by regime forces in the al-Tadamon neighbourhood. An unidentified corpse was found in the al-Qadam neighbourhood.
25 Rebel Fighters:
- In Idlib province 7 rebel fighters were killed. A rebel commander was killed during clashes with regime forces in the perimeter of a military base in the al-Dweila area by the Kafrtkharim town. 3 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the Salqin town. 2 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the Bsida town and Wadi al-Deif encampment of Reef M’aret al-Nu’man. A rebel fighter died of wounds he received earlier during clashes with regime forces in the Heish town.
- In Reef Dimashq province a rebel fighter was killed during clashes with regime forces in the al-Sayida Zeinab area.
- In Aleppo province 9 rebel fighters were killed. 1 was killed during clashes with regime forces in the Khan al-A’sal town of Reef Aleppo. 4 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the city of Aleppo. 3 were killed during clashes with regime forces in the perimeter of the Kweiris military airport. 1 died of wounds he received earlier during clashes in Aleppo city.
- In Deir Izzor province a rebel fighter was killed during clashes with regime forces in the al-Rashdiya neighbourhood of Deir Izzor city.
- In Dera’a province a rebel fighter was found dead by the Nasib town, he was killed by an ambush regime forces set up 3 days earlier.
- In Latakia province 2 rebel fighters were killed during clashes with regime forces in the al-Nabi Younes area of Reef Latakia.
- In the al-Raqqa province a rebel fighter was killed during clashes with regime forces on the al-Hasaka-Aleppo road.
- In the al-Hasaka province 3 rebel fighters were killed, only one name was documented, after regime forces chased them in the al-Shdadi area of Reef al-Hasaka.
- The SOHR document today a civilian killed 3 days earlier in the al-Hmeidiya neighbourhood by regime forces.
- Information received indicates that 7 rebel fighters, including 5 defected soldiers and an unidentified rebel, were killed by an ambush set up by the Mas’oud village of eastern Reef Hama, the SOHR has not been able to document this due to communication difficulties.
- At least 34 regime forces were killed by IED attacks and clashes in several Syrian provinces; 8 in Idlib, 9 Aleppo, 4 Reef Dimashq, 4 Homs, 3 Deir Izzor, 4 Dera’a and 2 in al-Raqqa.
[local time] 20:38 Syria’s death toll rose to 138 people killed by regime troops, Al-Arabiya reported.
20:09 The heads of the Arab League and the United Nations issued a joint call to Syria’s warring parties on Friday urging them to observe a ceasefire over the Eid al-Adha holiday on October 26 to 28.
19:43 Syria’s Friday death toll increased to 122 people killed by regime forces, Al-Arabiya quoted activists as saying.
17:30 Eight people were killed in the Syrian regime’s shelling of the town of Ma’arshorin near Idlib, Al-Jazeera television reported.
15:48 A YouTube video uploaded on Friday shows destruction and rubble after the Syrian regime warplanes reportedly shelled three buildings and two bridges in the town of Jesreen outside Damascus.
15:25 A You Tube video purportedly filmed on Friday in Al-Yadouda in Daraa shows anti-regime protesters chanting in support of the Syrian uprising.
15:24 A You Tube video purportedly filmed on Friday in Daraya shows anti-regime protesters chanting against the Syrian regime and in support of the Syrian uprising.
15:08 Turkish artillery struck back at Syria on Friday after two Syrian shells landed in Turkish territory, the state-run television TRT reported.
15:02 Syrian rebels said Friday they have removed part of a collection of mosaics from Maaret al-Numan’s museum in a bid to save the relics from the regime’s bombardment of the northwestern town.
14:43 Friday’s death toll in Syria has risen to 60 people, activists said.
14:08 Lightly-armed Syrian rebels who face the warplanes, artillery and tanks of loyalists have turned to making their own weapons, in some cases even using video game controllers to fire them.
13:45 Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jihad Makdissi said Friday that Syria wants to calm the situation in the strife-stricken country for the sake of reaching a solution through dialogue.
13:35 Syrian regime forces shelled Kfar Batna near Damascus, killing seven people, Al-Arabiya television reported.
13:35 International peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi arrived in Damascus, AFP reported Friday.
13:32 Nine people were killed in the Syrian regime forces’ shelling of Al-Ghouta al-Sharqiya in the Damascus district, Al-Arabiya television quoted activists as saying.
13:18 Friday’s death toll in Syria has risen to 50 people, Al-Arabiya television quoted activists as saying.
12:44 Friday’s death toll in Syria has risen to 31 people, including six children, activists said.
12:17 Syrian regime forces summarily executed seven soldiers who tried to defect from Brigade 93 in Ain Issa in Reqqa, activists said.
12:15 Syrian regime forces raided Basra al-Sham in Daraa, activists said.
12:11 Turkey on Friday called for Syria’s regime to immediately stop deadly aerial bombing of rebel targets and for the two sides to observe a truce ahead of the Eid al-Adha Muslim holiday next week.
12:08 At least 28 people were killed on Friday, most of them in Damascus and Deir az-Zour, Al-Jazeera television quoted activists as saying.
12:06 Syrian rebels announced that they have taken control of the Aleppo neighborhood of Jadeed amid violent clashes, Al-Jazeera television reported.
11:37 Syrian warplanes droped cluster bombs on Maaret al-Numan, AFP reported rebels as saying Friday.
10:56 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Thursday shows a scene in which a shell suddenly crashes into the town of Saqba near Damascus.
10:50 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Thursday shows bodies of Syrian civilians, swathed in white sheets, who were killed during the Syrian regime’s shelling of the rebel-held town of Maaret al-Numan.
10:38 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Thursday shows a number of rebels who had raided a gas station harboring people affiliated with the Syrian regime and seized a number of weapons. The rebels, who are associated with the Al-Faruq brigade, can be seen displaying the confiscated arms and “hallucinogenic pills.”
10:29 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Thursday shows a Free Syrian Army Brigadier General displaying weapons with which the rebels are fighting the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
9:35 Syria’s air force carried out raids on Friday morning against rebels besieging a major military base in the northwestern province of Edleb, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
8:15 Syrian rebels took “complete” control of the Suleiman al-Halabi neighborhood in Aleppo, Al-Jazeera television reported.
8:11 Rebels attacked Syrian regime forces in various areas in Aleppo, Al-Jazeera television reported.
BEIRUT – A prominent Lebanese intelligence official opposed to President Bashar al-Assad was killed in a huge car bomb in Beirut in another sign that Syria’s civil war is dragging its volatile neighbor into the conflict. | Video
Turkey fires on Syria in retaliation incident: state TV: BESASLAN, Turkey – Turkey’s army fired on Syria on Friday after two shells launched from Syria landed in Turkish territory, Turkish state broadcaster TRT reported, underlining how tension between the two neighbors remains dangerously high.
UN and Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi arrives in Damascus to press for a ceasefire in the Syrian conflict, amid continued fighting…
Guardian: Turkey calls on major powers to intervene in Syria: Turkish foreign minister says countries must set aside differences over Syria to prevent humanitarian disaster
BBC World News blocked in Syria: Spokeswoman says it has experienced interference since Wednesday, with other international broadcasters also jammed. By Josh Halliday